Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wood You or Woodn't You? You Have No Idea

Of the most egregious incidences in sports, Tiger Woods does not even rank- why? Because what he did – or didn’t do- has nothing to do with his everlasting legacy as the greatest golfer in the history of the game. Why are we (and I don’t mean me) so anxious to knock him down? He has remained virtually unblemished since he turned pro at the young, so very young, age of 20. He has been built up by the media and by society to be the paragon of virtue, and heavy is the head that wears this crown.

Has he simply proven himself a mortal? Is it possible he is capable of a lapse in judgment? Why is he not allowed to make a mistake without it ringing out like a shot? Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone (rarely will you find me ever referencing the Bible- but in this case- few statements could underscore my outrage). Really? Is there a public figure of his notoriety who hasn’t made a misstep? Has anyone currently lambasting Tiger Woods walked in his shoes or lived a life completely free of sin?

Take any man (or woman) and put them in line for sainthood, hand them hundreds of millions of dollars, bless them with charm, magnetism and good looks, call them out publicly as being the best in his field since the field was defined, and see if they are able to resist the pitfalls. I know some VERY good men- but few who could withstand that pressure. Why? Because it is a lot to handle.

I know no one who can find all of their needs met within the confines of marriage- further, is it healthy for the entirety of our happiness to be wrapped up in one person? It is why we retain friends, continue to make friends, have trusted associates, strong bonds with our parents and engage in hobbies our spouses might not enjoy. It is the nature of relationships they might evolve and take on an unexpected dimension. The “right” thing to do is to resist the temptation or the impulse. However, circumstances in our own lives or relationship (marriage) might create an environment where resisting is not the right thing for US at the time. Resisting temptation might be right in the eyes of society- but not what WE need at the time.

What was the “right” thing for Tiger to do as a husband and father of two? How can I know the answer to that? Marriage is a very interesting paradigm- a relational status you entered into willingly and lovingly is now recognized by law and under the dictates of intense societal confines. If you judge people based on their ability to maintain a “perfect” marriage- there would be no good people and certainly no good marriages. Oh, I know, your parents have been happily married for 50 years, right? WRONG. Separate them and get them hammered (as I have suggested before) and you are likely to hear things that would light your hair on fire. Fact of the matter is- society has made marriage too difficult.

Originally marriage was defined as the “Union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by the law”- by “union” you could assert “harmonious coming together- agreement”. Wow, how easy until death do us part used to be. All we had to do was be in agreement and harmonious. Further, people only lived 25 to 40 years. Marriage was different back then- often times marriages were “arranged” uniting powerful families to bolster lineage. Children were born to help work the land. It was a unit- a team.

Things have changed. Is it because we want an "out" society will accept? My wife divorced me because I had a significant “emotional affair” during a trying season of our marriage? Or, is it because society wants to make sure anyone willing to leave the covenant of marriage is ostracized? This might help govern the behavior if someone is worried about becoming an outcast? Either way- now we have “emotional affairs,” “intellectual affairs,” “physical affairs,” in addition to the longtime favorite- “sexual affairs.” How can anyone NOT screw this up? Now a great working relationship has become “inappropriate." Has anyone given any thought to the fact not all relationships, regardless of their depth, lead to a sexual place?

Why would a woman turn to another man for comfort or support? Because her husband is not available in that capacity. Why would a man turn to another woman for comfort, support and bolstering? Because his needs are not being met at home. Now, this could be as simple as the couple not communicating need or want- but it could run deeper. What if a woman has not had sex with her husband in three years because he is overweight and not appealing to her? Either way- do you really want to be so arrogant as to be the moral arbiter of someone else's life circumstances? The quickest way to find your self judged is to judge.

We are not perfect- if we are lucky, we are Clever and put forth the effort to be good people- but we will make mistakes. We will fail ourselves, our parents, our spouses, our children, our friends. Not because this is our goal, but because everyone places their expectations on us and in the process of meeting our own needs- often we disappoint others by not living up to their expectations.

Now- about Tiger. Did he have sex outside the confines of his marriage? Maybe. Does it make him a bad man. No. Does it make him a bad person? No. Does it make him a bad golfer? Hell, no. Does it make him a bad husband? We don’t know what goes on within their marriage. Does it make him a bad father? Unlikely, as it relates to the treatment of his children. Again, we do not know. Does it make him a bad role model for children? No more than anyone else who isn’t PERFECT.

Tiger has been Tiger- the MEDIA is in large part responsible for creating what might not be an accurate depiction of Tiger. Until now, it has been assumed he was without flaw- unlikely and unreasonable an image for anyone. So- since his extra-marital conduct has nothing to do with whether he is the best golfer in the history of the game- it would be nice if he and his wife could resolve or dissolve privately.

Do I extend this generosity to everyone? Yes. In sports- if your conduct is outside the realm of the sport and is not criminal- yes. Do I think Kobe Bryant is guilty of anything other than adultery? No. But alleging rape gets a lot more attention and is difficult to defend. You can almost be guaranteed a payoff. Why would Kobe Bryant need to rape anyone to have sex? I'm not stipulating those in positions of power do not feel entitled and perhaps pursue a bit more forcefully, but violent rape? Not likely.

In the past 15 years, we have been conditioned to accept that which is unacceptable. For example- Gary Moeller was fired as the head coach of the University of Michigan in 1995 after tapes were released following an arrest for disorderly conduct at a restaurant in Michigan. Look at what has gone on since then? Plaxico Burress, Michael Vick, Pedro Martinez, steroid scandal after steroid scandal, Ron Artest- to name a few.

The most important and relevant situation to the Gary Moeller issue is Rick Pitino. His conduct- SEXUAL RELATIONS with a woman in a restaurant, extortion allegations and claims of pregnancy. He simply issued a public apology and resumed his coaching position at Louisville. University of Michigan, with it’s exacting standards for professional and personal conduct, let go a man whose record spoke volumes and who could have continued the legacy created by Bo Schembechler. He had a few too may drinks and was defending his coaching and his team (albeit, loudly). Hmmm. Things HAVE changed.

All that to say this. What happened on Tiger Woods' property is a private matter (I don't even think a ticket should have been issued). We don’t know the condition of his marriage. What factors would have to exist for this to be OK with you? What if his wife had not smiled at him, given him a hug or a word of encouragement since the birth of their first child? What if the pregnancy was unplanned- a forgotten “pill” by Elin, which lead to early parenthood- despite the fact they had agreed not to have children until he retired? What if they have a horrible relationship and had agreed to see other people- quietly- after all, for as high profile as he is- it has been very quiet. The point is- no one knows what goes on in someone else’s marriage- therefore, let’s skip the judgment and let this couple alone.

Perhaps the grossest aspect of this scenario is the comment from Jesper Parnevik- “friend” and fellow golfer. To me, the true measure of who you are as a friend and person is your support when things blow up. It is so easy to be back-slapping best friends with someone when they are riding high- but who are you when things fall apart? If I were Tiger Woods- I would have reserved my apology for my wife and only my wife. After all, he didn’t let me down. He still continues to conduct himself with grace and humility on the course and that is something sorely lacking in the world of professional sports.

In my opinion- Jesper’s comment sounds so much more like a disgruntled and jealous fellow golfer who is delighting in what he hopes is a career-killing act. Gross. How morally bankrupt a person must you be to delight in the misfortunes of others? For those in the media stirring the pot? I hope you are not the next person to fall victim to public humiliation for a private matter.

OK, I must go. I have a wedding to see to. I want to say congratulations to easily one of the Cleverest Women I have ever known. She waited- under intense scrutiny (it is so much more societally acceptable to have been divorced three times than to have never been married by your mid-30s) for a man as Clever as she. I love you both and look forward to watching your lives together unfurl, guided by respect, love and support.

Saturday is a big day. Lots going on. I look forward to your feedback, Clever Tribe.

x

CG

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your stance on Tiger's situation. We should ALL hold our judgement.

    Recently, I faced a similar situation to Tiger's- minus the few hundred million dollars that he is worth. It is true, as you say, no one can find all of their needs met within the confines of marriage- and that was me. I am, dare I say, "middle aged" and have two young children. I turned to another woman for comfort and support that I was not getting at home. At just about rock bottom in my marriage, SHE came along. The timing was uncanny. The woman was a college "flame" if you will and after a few discreet lunches we continued where we left off after 20 years. Temptation was in full force. Unlike, Tiger(If it's true) I am proud to say, I / WE did the "right" thing and resisted the temptation. Was resisting right for US at the time? I'll never know. There was no sex, but did we have an "emotional affair"? "Intellectual affair"? Probably. I know I did. In the end, we mutually decided to remain good friends. It turns out, these events were exactly what I needed to restore my marriage- by taking some time with my thoughts and a good look at what I already have at HOME. It was a wake up call and I took it to heart. Months later now, my marriage is on solid ground from changes that I've implemented(most of them clever). Our love and bond is deep and strong. Unlike Tiger(trial pending), Kobe, Rick Pitino and many other men, I navigated the troubled waters successfully.

    And what of the other girl? Yes, I fell hard for her back then, resisted the temptation but those feelings have now passed. What I thought was a mutual decision to remain friends is suspect. I have reached out a few times to stay in touch and to let her know all is right with me. I try not to poke or prod too much because I know she doesn't like that. With no response- I don't know, maybe my words were misinterpreted. What I do know is, regardless of response, I owe her a debt I hope to repay someday. She gave me my life back, my fire, my passion. My wife is THE person for me and she helped me realize that. My life is good, but I miss my friend...maybe someday, if I'm patient, she'll come back around. Until then, I still think of her... Every. Single. Day.

    Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely lovely way to start the day. It is good to know, with temptation in FULL force, you were able to withstand. It helps if the other person is not willing- it would seem in Tiger's case, women are all too willing. That is a matter of money- the all mighty dollar is a huge motivating factor.
    I wanted to indicate in my post yesterday, often, a "shake up" or a connection with someone else is all that is required to restore things in your current relationship. Sometimes it is a death in the family, an affair, losing a job- either way, you were able to come back around to where you belonged without such a major upheaval.
    Perhaps I will address it today- thank you for inspiring me.
    x
    cg

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, CG, you have covered a lot of ground in this post. I would like to focus on what I think is the source of all the media attention around Tiger's personal situation. It is a function of what interests us as a society (read: quit blaming the media for content, be intelligent enough to just turn off your tv and they will get the message). If the masses didn't care, there wouldn't be a story. So, why do so many pay so much attention to the alleged failures, struggles, shortcomings of others - especially those in the social or political limelight? Why do we have an insatiable appetite for these juicy morsels of intrigue? I believe the answer is simple: it is far more palatable to redirect focus and point to the faults and shortcomings of others (especially those we envy due to talent, looks, prestige, prosperity, priveledge, etc.) than to take a long, hard look at our own opportunities for improvement. It is terrifically ironic when you look at some of the most recent stories of 'moral failure'; it seems those most willing to 'throw stones' are also most inclined to self-destruct. Larry Craig, the congressman who became famous for reaching under the bathroom stall, was one of Bill Clinton's biggest critics during the Lewinski scandal. Eliot Spitzer's personal mission was to eradicate prostitution from New York City and Ted Haggart brought fire from the pulpit against infidelity and homosexuality. I have no issue with any of these men defining their values and standing up for that what they believe - that is one of the greatest blessings of living in this country. But, how great would it be if everyone started working on the plank in their own eye rather than looking for the speck of dust in their friends? Since you made a biblical reference, and since we are in the Christmas season, I will assert that regardless of your belief of Jesus as perfect or Messiah (which I do), history has certainly proven him to be a very virtuous and noble man. In the story you referenced, he is sitting amongst the religious elite of his day who have caught a woman 'in the act of adultry' - that fact, in and of itself has some interesting implications. They are using her as an instrument to cause Jesus to contradict Jewish law. He starts writing in the sand - I have always wondered what he was writing. Perhaps giving the mob a taste of their own medicine; bringing their sins into the public domain. What we do know is that, when he stopped writing in the sand, he stood and asked for the one without sin to cast the first stone. One by one, the mob dropped their rocks and dispersed - the oldest first, then the youngest. What a beautiful picture of grace; God's divine contrast applied rather than a mob's angry wrath. Hmm, I would love to hear her story one day - what happens when a person is confronted with love and grace as opposed to judgement and wrath - "woman, where are your accusors?". From what I have read of you CG, it seems this concept of making yourself better is fundamental to the CLEVER concept. If there was ever a New Year's resolution worth keeping, I think it would be stop focusing on others faults and start brainstorming ways to make yourself better. Tiger has shown us grace on the golf course, perhaps its time to show him a little grace. LM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been inspired. I'm happy to return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LM-
    Thank you for bolstering my articulation of judgement. For further unpacking the story which I bastardized. I must say- you have put the dismantling of Tiger Woods in perfect focus. In addition to us shifting the focus from our own shortcomings, delighting in the downfall of others has become an American Past Time. We like to see our enemies, competitors and detractors fail. We prefer those who are more fortunate, as you say in looks, prestige, power, prominence or talent to meet with failure. It makes us feel better. For as much as I abhor cliches and hackneyed sayings- Misery truly prefers company.
    I do want to comment on one thing you pointed out- CLEVER is not about being a better person at all. It is about making an effort. Thinking. Being active. If something I say has the power to give someone pause- to THINK next time before they act- then I am honored.
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever Girl~~
    I must say that you have made up my mind. i was undecided on the topic before I read your article and have come to the conclusion that you are 100% correct. Who are we to call him immoral? It is none of our business, if everyone would just leave this to him and his poor wife maybe things wouldn't have festered into such a problem. And I would almost bet anything paparazzi has not made anything easier for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous-
    I have to challenge the notion of Elin Woods as Tiger's "poor wife". I think any woman who enters into a marriage with a man of Tiger's notoriety needs to manage her expectations. Perhaps the quietude of this situation lulled her into a feeling of security- perhaps she is hurt, angry, feels betrayed. All that aside- what she isn't nor will she ever be again is poor.
    We must not call him immoral- this gives rise to the notion the one who judges is without sin. We all sin, we all fail- we are all imperfect. We are lucky we are able to hide our sins with anonymity- though he can not. This is due to the fact he has allowed himself to become part of an image which did not adequately portray him. Does it sell more cars to have a spokes person who edifies trust, honesty and humility? Yes. Will you still buy the car you like? Probably. Will Tiger Woods Inc. take a hit due to the apparent indiscretions? Yes. Will it effect his bottom line? Temporarily.
    Thank you for reading- for your observations and feedback. I appreciate it greatly. It is my fuel.
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog