Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Yummmm

Ok, Clever Tribe- one of the most Clever Guys I know, Geoff (nickname also CG, stands for Cool Geoff- not self-proclaimed but earned in college for being, well, cool)- seems to have a problem with my breakfast taco recipe from yesterday and I am anticipating his grievance- use chorizo instead of sausage. I have a good reason for not doing so- I abhor chorizo. If you like it- use it. This is a matter of being Clever. If you like chorizo- and you are making something with the word "taco" in it- substitute chorizo for sausage. Fair enough, CG? Or are you going to give me a hard time for suggesting store-bought salsa? OK- for game day and New Year's Day- here is a quick and easy homemade salsa recipe pirated from El Azteco in East Lansing, Mich. I must tell you- even though I paid $50 for this recipe- it doesn't taste the same. Either way- my bastardized version is below-

El Az Salsa

Large can of diced tomatoes (drained for thicker salsa)
Two large jalapenos- rinsed and cut in half
1/2 white onion-coarsely chopped
1 bunch of cilantro- rinsed
sea salt
cumin
garlic powder
black pepper

In a food processor- puree the tomatoes. Add a liberal amount of salt, a dash of garlic powder, black pepper and a more liberal amount of cumin.
Set mixture aside in a large bowl.
Add a small handful of cilantro, both jalapenos and the onion to food processor and process until it is almost like a roux- thick but not liquidy.
Combine- enjoy with chips.

I suppose CG (Geoff) would propose you cut homemade corn tortillas in quarters and fry them yourself. I prefer to get a bag of baked chips from Whole Foods.

Is it time to discuss Mike Leach? No. There is nothing to say- abuse of power? Likely. Tech's way of getting out of a nearly $1 million bonus? Likely. Did he put the wrong kid in an equipment shed? For certain. Why don't you just slap Dan Patrick's daughter across the face? Have mouth- have platform- will use it- someone is going to get hurt. Hmmm.

Also received an e-mail yesterday from a reader asking for an alternative to serving chili to her guests tomorrow. She is from Michigan and it's freaking cold- so, I am going to give you my favorite recipe for goulash. We Northerners are big on things served in a bowl- steaming hot with warm bread. Yum.

Goulash for Game Day

Two large cans of diced tomatoes- if you can find the ones that have the Italian spices added already- get them. Make sure you don't inadvertently get the ones with green chilies or you will have an interesting Southwesty goulash.

I use 1 lb. of 90/10 ground beef- but for those who prefer meaty, hearty, meaty, meaty- use more. If you prefer tomatoey to meaty- add another can of tomatoes.
1 large white onion
salt
olive oil
garlic powder
oregano
3/4 can of water
Elbow macaroni- or whole wheat fusilli (my fave)

Open tomatoes and put them in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add water. Add a generous amount to sea salt, garlic powder and oregano.
Coarsely chop the onion and saute in a splash of olive oil. Once they are well cooked- transparent but not burned- add to the tomato mixture.
Brown ground beef and drain- add to tomato mixture. Simmer for a couple hours- stir and make sure it's covered so you do not lose your liquid.
Taste- it should be evident there is salt in there- if it is not- add some- it really heightens the flavors.

Prepare pasta in water and serve goulash over the pasta. Not as much as you would use for pasta- there should be more goulash than pasta.

Warm a loaf of French or Italian bread and yum. Serves a lot of people and isn't CHILI.

OK- I must go- have family descending.

Have a safe and wonderful evening- let's put this b*&^h of a year to bed. No looking back. I'll shout at you tomorrow with some thoughts I have on resolutions for the NEW year.

x

2 comments:

  1. You knew it was coming...the fabled Breakfast Taco commentary. Brace yourself.

    Actually, how is it that you know me so well? You hit all the points I was going to make.

    I was really struggling with the ground beef and Jimmie Dean; while sure to TASTE great, chorizo or linguica would be more authentic, and add quite a robust kick.

    As for the canned salsa, I am surprised they haven't kicked you out of Texas for that one. BUT, in order to earn my entry-visa for a visit to the big D., may I suggest the following simple, yet tasty, alternative for salsa that works GREAT in eggs.

    1 c. diced tomato (roma is preferred)
    1 medium onion, diced

    1 jalapeño pepper, diced
    OR
    for a Southwestern flavor, 1 roasted green chile, diced

    These three simple ingredients add a huge amount of flavor, and make you look like the chef that you always aspired to be. You can fold them easily into the eggs with your breakfast meat of choice.

    Prospero Año Nuevo 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CG-
    First of all- just add lime and that is called Pico de gallo- and it is lovely- but I don't enjoy it with my breakfast- of course, that's just me. However, about the salsa of choice- it was never intended to be canned- but, Texans (and I should not have assumed my readers were Texan) have their own favorite salsas. So many local eateries, farmers, and chefs jar their own- I am used to a bevy of culinarily brilliant options.
    So, in the post it was more like- insert favorite salsa here. I admit I should have offered a homemade option.
    I must say though, I am a big fan of the locally owned and run Mrs. Renfro's (Fort Worth)- mmmmmm. Also, San Antonio's own Pace.
    I had to head off the criticism, though- knowing you were coming right at me. So, my apologies. I promise never to serve you thrice cooked grape leaves again.
    How do I know you so well? You have to ask?
    xoxoxo
    CG

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog