Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Guy Just Wants a Girl Who "Gets Him"

Hmmm. This is a statement- well, the crux of an email sent to me last night. It sounded great in theory, I mean, who doesn't want to be with someone who "gets them". After more thought, I realized, how can anyone get anyone else if there are no shared interests? If we simply get together and talk "at" each other and anxiously wait for the other person to finish speaking so we can redirect to something WE are interested in- how much progress have we made?

Is it possible, if a man and woman have similar experiences, they will have a more productive conversation? Most likely. Even if the shared experiences are not positive, it gives way to interesting exchanges and the possibility for growth.

Sadly, I ended up on a date with a friend- she didn't want to meet this guy alone, and their best friends thought they would really hit it off. We'd done the requisite internet stalking- he was attractive, purported a wide range of interests (most of which she categorically rejected, but we can discuss that later), and wanted to meet her (i assume he did the same internet "check" and found her perceived value to be up to par).

I imagine he was surprised to see me on his date, but he was kind enough not to make a big deal. We explained I was wasting time before meeting some other friends- blah, blah, blah- made up, lie, made up and he knew it. What became evident really quickly was neither of their best friends had ever met them because they had absolutely nothing in common. He apologized for being a few minutes late- he was packing for a trip to the deer lease. We both saw her visibly stiffen- at which point he quickly explained he wasn't a hunter, he just went to shoot his guns. GUNS?!? GUNS?!?

I closed my eyes and tried to will myself, well, anywhere. Outer Mongolia would have been splendid at this time of year. His declaration was met with great fervor, but it wasn't so much enthusiasm as the intense passion one who abhors guns would unleash. Several minutes into her diatribe, he held up his hands (i saw him mentally fast forwarding to being late without calling).

"Have you ever fired a handgun?" he asked.
"What?" Aghast. "Why would I?" And yes, she even had a hand poised at her chest.
"Well, I collect and fire them for sport, because I like to. I grew up on a lot of land, my dad and I used to shoot skeet."
"What does that have to do with me firing a hand gun?"
"I just thought if you had, you might have more perspective than a bunch of pre-digested rhetoric you heard on CNN."

CNN? CNN?

"You are taking a lot for granted!"
"No. You are. There is very little risk associated with the sport of shooting."
"Tell that to Dick Cheney!"
"They were hunting. I already said I don't hunt." He threw me an exhausted gaze that clearly said, "can i go now?". I nodded. He got up, thanked us both for meeting him, said he needed to finish packing and left an appalled girl staring after him.

"He left? He left? Why did he leave? Obviously has a problem with strong women!" I grimaced.

I know her and know most of what she said was someone else's rhetoric. Her mother's. That isn't the point, however. I see two major errors here.

1) No arguing. Especially not on a first date. No place really on any date. A spirited debate is one thing- an all out lecture is not acceptable. I can't think of anyone who appreciates being told their hobbies or interests are wrong, or unethical (unless they are illegal), or a waste of time. Even in a debate, you need to be open to the other person's opinions and give those opinions the courtesy of weight. If you are not interested in what HE (who ever HE is) has to say, why are you in a conversation anyway- or worse yet, on a date?

2) He had a valid point. How can you emphatically reject something you have never done, tried or experienced hands on? You never know. So, my point is ... all that to say this-

How can a girl "get" a guy, if she has never invested in any of his interests- or any male interests at all? How can any two people have a reasonable interaction if they have no intersecting points?

So, I invited my friend to go shooting with me the next day- which she declined, after training an eye upon me as if I'd asked her to visit a crack house in downtown Detroit. It's fun, I told her. Crack house. You might like it. Crack house. He seemed like a nice guy. Crack house.

Unwilling to experience new things. I wasn't excited to shoot a hand gun myself, but as soon as I did- I was hooked. It could happen to you.

At this point, women reading this blog may feel a little persecuted, as if I have a "male" agenda. I deny any such agenda. My AGENDA is clear. I want to empower women- to give them enough confidence to try new things (which they might not enjoy, but at least they tried- and imparting the effort gives them perspective for a debate or even material to engage the ultra hot guy at the gym who reads "Handgunner" on the treadmill). Sometimes, if you know a little bit about a subject, it's less intimidating to try for the first time.

I promise, any girl can unload her moniker "buzz kill" (and yes, they call you that behind your back) and become the cool chick who is INVITED to watch a game with the guys. I know, you don't WANT to watch the game- you HATE football. But do you? Do you really hate it? If so, why? Have you seen TOM BRADY?!?

Let's break old habits and records of the past and start anew. All you have to do is try ...

x

14 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I totally agree with everything you just wrote. How do you really 'get' a woman or a man if you have never experienced anything they enjoy.

    GO BLUE! I can't believe you went to MSU! I saw an ad for a maize colored shirt with blue lettering, reading 'If Ann Arbor is a whore, why didn't you get in.' Just made me laugh.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey B-
    Just got this- replied in a different area. Still getting the hang of this. If I'd have gone to UofM ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was not to be a rude comment, just thought of that shirt when you said you went to MSU. Very funny. Hope you didn't take that the wrong way.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hilarious! I'm a good sport. All clever girls are and can even take a few pot shots at their favorite football team ever! Yes, even during the Jim Harbaugh years. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, back to your reply post that was in the wrong blog! This is your blog site right? :) Isn't a whore a whore no matter what degree or lack there of? If she looks like a whore, walks like a whore, smells like a whore, must be a whore.

    I will have to say that I personally had a friend go golfing with her husband last week. It was her first experience and her comment was 'Now I know why Michael golfs every week, it was unbelievable and I can't wait to do it again.'

    You sound very diverse and not many women out there like beer, Sportscenter, cars, and college football!! You might be one in a million, maybe two! So with that being said, I hope your blogs and book will reach out the millions of available women so that I may find that 'best friend'.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted my response under a different post. Of course it's my blog, but it emailed to long before it posted on the site so I just responded to it.
    Keeping in mind, if a woman senses she is being "kept out" of something- she will want in more. So, why wouldn't a Clever girl want to golf again? She get's to spend time with her husband, surrounded most likely by men- and even if she's faking it, she could enjoy driving the golf cart and handing out beer. That is what I'd do.
    I'm not a fan of playing golf, but I took the lessons and now I'm a great cheerleader and purveyor of beer. Tried it, didn't like it- but respect it.
    You said it- "best friend"- doesn't your best friend share your interests and support them even if they don't enjoy them? You are best friends because there is trust, they keep your secrets and you tend to appreciate the same leisure pursuits. There is a Very Clever Girl out there for you- if not now ... soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CLEVER GIRL - my, this is a breath of fresh air. We are deluged with others using their lense or paradigm to project what is "appropriate" or "innappropriate" for a man or a woman to enjoy or to be engaged in. In those paradigms, I think both genders have missed out on the vast experiences out there this life has to offer. All of this comes back to being willing to divest of preconceived notions, and just give it a whirl. This isn't about losing your identity in your man, it is about broadening your identity as a woman with the capacity to enter what is traditionally considered his domain and find that you may actually enjoy it! I love it! And this concept doesnt just apply to Clever girls; CLEVER guys could learn a lesson or two from this - if you've never had a pedicure from the 6'2", dark hair, green eyed beauty at the Wynn in Las Vegas, its probably because you assumed pedicures are for women... well guys, your loss. CLEVER, as a guy who is enthralled with the vastness and potential of a great woman, I am anticipating fantastic things from this blog and am thrilled about the book; great start! Brilliance through and through. L

    ReplyDelete
  8. L-

    Sadly you are anonymous. I imagine there are a bevy of willing females out there who'd love to get to know you! Perhaps I should start a dating site. Haha.

    I really shouldn't have given up that job at the Wynne. I'm not really six foot two- I was standing on a step- haha. It's not just about pampering either boys, it only stands to reason if you hold women to such a high standard physically then you should hold yourself to the same standards. Keep the feet soft and the rest of you healthy.

    I see more guys realizing the beauty of human touch, grooming and luxury items- than I see women at the shooting range, firing up grills and lighting a man's cigar while enjoying a glass of single malt scotch.

    Stay tuned for the Clever Guy's Guide to Being A Bride's Groom- just a little book about how NOT to get your ass handed to you in the wedding planning process.

    There is also the The Clever Cooking Guide for Clueless Guys coming soon for those self declared Clueless Guys! But we all know many guys would prefer not only to be cooked for by a women, but also dine with a woman who is willing to eat more than a side of green beans and a lettuce wedge with no dressing. For those guys, forthcoming, The Clever Girl's Guide to Cooking for Guys- because it's not just what you cook- but what you are wearing WHILE you cook.

    For too long we have allowed society to dictate our interests for us- chose your own adventure (loved those books when i was little)!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your post...and I keep hanging on the part where your friend actively researched (and almost cyber stalked) this guy prior to a first date, and then was so combative right out of the gate. I think maybe I will just skip the dating thing for a while....I don't have the energy for all that. I think your right on with the concept of trying something the other person is interested in, and this goes both ways. If he likes football (Go Blue), then she should sit through a game. If she likes chick-flicks, then he should sit through a chick-flick. It may not be your chosen activity, but you have to give and take. Bravo to you for trying to get your friend to try something new.....not all friends would go to the trouble. Keep it interesting and this will be a fun blog...and who knows...maybe we will all learn something to help us figure all this out.

    TT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog! Well written, informative and fun to read. Nice! Any advice on guys who can't cook but need to pull an impressive meal out of zero kitchen talent?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, so much advice. Where to begin, Ken? Main course? Appetizers? Just let me know and I will cook something up. I'm all about being informed and honestly, isn't fun the best thing to have?

    ReplyDelete
  12. TT-

    Let's be honest, we've all done it. The internet has provided us with far too much information and we all use it. It's wayyy too easy to find people, find out about people and to read up. So, that being said- a Clever girl would use this to her advantage.

    If my friend was actually interested in connecting with this guy, should she not have taken some of the information she'd learned to heart and done some research?

    For example- we learned he attended OU- this was on his Linkedin.com profile. I recall vividly saying, tough break for Sam Bradford, but she was more concerned about his business profile. He looked good on paper- she looked good on paper- but that didn't translate.

    The whole evening would have gone differently if she'd come out of the gate and said- "wow, tough sprain for Sam Bradford- how does he look for Texas/OU?". Or, if she'd have fired a handgun and then thrown it on the ground and run screaming. At least she could have regaled him with her experience and he'd have probably empathized that the gun bucked and nearly disarticulated her hand at the wrist. He might have thought the whole thing was charming and lauded her bravery for shooting a gun in the first place and cajoled her into letting HIM give her a hands on tutorial.

    Either way, combative is simply not the right angle to take with men- or women for that matter. Is it really necessary? When did being "right" over take our desire to connect?

    Don't be afraid TT, but don't put up with egregious excuses for common sense and common decency.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, does the fact he does not shoot animals make a difference? There are many places where the majority of men look forward to hunting. The anticipation and waiting for opening season, is like a five year old waiting up all night on Christams Eve in hopes of catching a glimpse of Santa Claus as he brings the new bike they have been waiting for.

    As intriguing as I have found "Clever Girl", part of me feels that the point of view is coming from a social level which may not be that of the majority...say one of a higher middle class in which you don't wash your own car and where my fashion attire would be looked down upon as I refuse to pay big $ for the sake of someones name....

    Hard working not upper class guy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hard working not upper class guy-

    The killing of the animals portion of the above post was relevant only to "my friend"- I happen to be from a very small, rural town and hunting was so much a part of the fabric of our community- lesson plans were generated around the opening of deer season as so few young men would be in attendance.

    While I am not a hunter, I did grow up with guns and would never judge someone's interest in hunting, fishing or otherwise- it is simply something I don't participate in. Clever Girls do not judge others- after all, who are we to do so?

    Hunting really doesn't qualify as an ethical debate for me- or even a philosophical one- I tend not to debate what others choose as leisure pursuits- unless they are illegal or threatening in someway to a child. If you look forward to hunting children- we have a problem- haha.

    You are wrong in your assessment of Clever being steeped in socio-economic issues. As per my post yesterday, it is critical to point out ways to acquire "things" you might want, without paying ridiculous retail prices. This is a matter for men and women as men become more independent and being a bachelor is no longer a social stigma- they want to decorate their homes and add some comfort to their surroundings.

    Since I come from one of the quintessential blue collar cities in the country- my opinions can only be generated from my reality- thereby, there exists what you might not see- sensibility. Clever has nothing to do with money. The impetus for Clever Girl was to help women understand the male realm so they could have better interactions with the men in their lives. No room for money talk there.

    Further- if you are hard working- you need a Clever Girl who will fire up that grill and make you a perfect medium rare porterhouse steak while you watch the game with a cold (or warm) drink. No whining and complaining about how you "never talk" anymore, no back flips trying to interrupt your enjoyment of the game- just catering to you and appreciating the hard days work you put in.

    Please come back, I think I can change your mind- this does not mean I don't love shoes, jeans and make up though-

    x

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog