Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Gift Receipt PLEASE! Clever Gift ideas for Clever Guys

I will admit it- I abhor shopping, which is not the same as buying. I embark on a purchasing expedition- never a shopping expedition. Sounds like a supreme waste of time- but then, I have very little time and what I do have does not turn shopping into a leisure pursuit of mine. So, with that in mind- I will concede there has never been a better time to buy gifts for men- efficiently and preferably online (but that's just me). Between now and Christmas I will be devoting Tuesdays for Clever gift ideas for the Clever Guys in your life. Fear not Clever Girls- I plan to devote equal time to Clever gift ideas for Clever Girls on Wednesdays.

I am going to say this upfront and hammer it home every week- do not invest so much emotionally that your feelings are hurt if the gift does not inspire the exact response you have dreamt of. Include a gift receipt- because I PROMISE you- he will purchase for you something you do not care for and if you have made him feel comfortable returning something- he will feel comfortable as well.

Here we go-

The Home Body

These gifts are for the man who cherishes his home- his domicile. Whether he decorated it himself or had help, he will still appreciate gifts which celebrate his bastion of peace and tranquility.

I have spent time selecting brands and designers who offer items in varying price points so as not to assume.

Kosta Boda is a Swedish art glass company with several designers contributing to a unique line of home décor items consistent with the clean and simple elegance of Scandinavian design.

Find hundreds of vases, sculptures, candle holders, serving pieces and limited edition collector’s items running the gamut of $70 to upwards in the thousands. Most of the items are a celebration of color or alternately, the absence of it.

Some of my favorite items were the Fidji Bottles in three different sizes beginning at $200 and the Macho decanters- each of which has it’s own style and shape sealed by a nut and bolt- ideal for chilling and serving vodka.

The full collection is available for viewing and purchase at www.kostaboda.com and I was thrilled to notice gift wrapping was an option- because as much as I detest shopping- everyone who knows me understands their gifts are likely to come in the packaging they arrived in, a shopping bag or a gift bag if I have one left over someone gave me.

I was able to locate some Kosta Boda discounted at www.swedishartglass.com and www.crystalclassics.com and am not sure how I feel about the fact it can be ordered at www.nordstrom.com. If your guy is highly discerning and a collector- be careful about buying anything, which can be purchased at a department store. Instead- look at galleries or products available only online.

The Clever Cook

If he is the one waiting on you hand and foot, preparing your meals and delighting you with his culinary genius- show your appreciation and reinforce such behavior by purchasing gifts for him to do so.

Kalorik is an interesting brand offering professional grade appliances as simple as the electric toaster (their first product) and 18 bottle wine captains. Recently they have been stocking at Target- so, if your guy is a snobby chef- do not shop here. However, if he delights in tinkering, and enjoys toying with new gadets- this is a perfect treasure trove. You can purchase so many handy gifts and NOT break the bank.

A few items I found amusing were the portable ice machine- not that I am a camper, but I have found myself in situations- such as tailgates and campfires with a limited ice supply. While it is $300.00, this little contraption makes ice in your choice of three sizes and styles in 10 minutes. For those guys who don’t drink beer but do love to camp- this is a great idea for long trips and great mixed drinks.

One of my biggest culinary challenges is Eggs Benedict- due to the simultaneous preparation of each ingredient. So, this Egg Cooker ($24.00) will be at the top of my list this year. It will perfectly poach four eggs while I am whipping up the hollandaise and toasting the English muffins.

I am on my third electric juicer due to the fragility of the receptacle- it is beaten up easily. When I saw the Kalorik version- I had visions of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice mimosas for Christmas morning dancing in my head. At $14.00, I can not afford to be without this little masterpiece. Further- soon I will be posting my recipe for Ceviche and this will come in most handy.

Www.kalorik.com will feature the entire product line including vacuums, blenders, toaster ovens, mixers (great 4 in 1 combi) and the above mentioned faves of mine.

I did find some pieces at www.target.com and some on www.overstock.com- it bears noting the prices on overstock were alternately lower and higher so do not assume they are less expensive than www.kalorik.com.

I will cater to the more perspicacious cook next week as I high light some higher end items. Honestly, for certain items, most notably small appliances- it is not necessary to spend a fortune as long as you are purchasing a quality item.

The Adventurer

This man values experience over possession almost exclusively- but fear not, he will need some gear. I mentioned in a previous post, www.gilt.com a private shopping site (if you email me at soveryclever.com with your email information embedded in the message, I will send you an invitation) is worth it if only for the extension called www.jetsetter.com. This website is a form of overstock for luxury trips. For example- Four Season’s property, The Pierre was listed yesterday at $349 per night over the holidays- now this might be the best time to plan a trip if you can afford to. This price on a hotel in NYC is impossible- let alone a property of such extravagance. Can you imagine ice skating in Rockafeller Center next to the tree- hot coffee at Serendipity and then strolling Fifth Avenue window shopping with your favorite guy?

The great thing about www.jetsetter.com is the trips are not last minute- this gives you time to plan and budget (if that isn’t a dirty word)- and purchase “gear” if necessary.

Speaking of gear. Two companies with exceptional rugged outdoor wear for the Outdoorsman. www.keenfootwear.com and Victorinox.

Keen is a leader in environmentally sound footwear featuring superior durability, wearability and functionality. Not only are the designs Clever, most are quite fashionable and exceedingly practical for hiking, fishing, walking, running and all around outdoor fun. The designs begin around $100 and go up from there. There are water shoes, sandals, clogs, boots, shoes and the hybrids of all the afore mentioned. You can also find Keen at many popular sports and outdoors stores such as REI.

One of the most interesting features on the site was an icon you could click which would show you what the shoe looked like with jeans- because let’s be honest, not all of us girls are totally comfortable with the exposed male foot- knowing what it will look like with clothing helps.

Victorinox is an unique label carried by www.saksfifthavenue.com or in Sak’s stores (might find some items at the outlet, Off Fifth) and also a few items at www.sierratradingpost.com and www.nordstrom.com

These clothes are classic and rugged and designed to build on the layering concept I spoke about last week. I thought the zipper front and half zipper fitted sweaters were stunning and the sheer variety of outerwear was heartening. Down, wool, cashmere are offered in hooded, quilted and vest varieties in a spectrum of colors. This brand is the antithesis of trendy.

The Sportsman

If he already has a Porsche (feel absolved of buying him one- haha), Adidas now offers a line of clothing and accessories for the Porsche enthusiast. I found fault with a good number of these items because honestly, the only two people on Earth I could see utilizing them would be Niles and Frasier Crane on Frasier. For those of you kids who are too young to know who the hell I am referring to- you are missing out on one of the funniest shows ever to grace TV. Either way, let me outline this for you.

So, your boyfriend or Dad owns a Porsche, does he need oil repellant driving pants? Not unless he has a tendency to wolf down submarine sandwiches drenched in olive oil while driving. How about the Team Bag M? How shocked would you be if your date arrived to enjoy dinner at your home and had what looked like a bowling bag with his shoes in it? Additionally, he had to change out of his driving pants, shoes, gloves, jacket and scarf and get “dressed”. I am all for the driving shoe or moccasin (I’ve already stated the necessity) and even gloves if you must- but the rest of it?

If, he is a major Porsche enthusiast- they now outfit met for tennis, golf and skiing. The clothing is sharp and luxurious and not all of it screams PORSCHE OWNER. I was surprised they offer a tennis racquet. www.adidas.com

Sports Enthusiast

Several teams, which have recently built new stadiums are offering tokens from the original structures. Yankee seats and turf are Clever ideas for the man with every single jersey, framed photo, artifact and ball from their favorite sports team or player. www.skymall.com or www.amazon.com both have Yankee Stadium seats for sale in pairs. They are pricey- or priceless? It is a piece of history.

www.sportsmemorabilia.com and www.fieldofdreams.com are great online resources for anything under the sun for the collector.

The Well Groomed Man

If he is as conscientious about his appearance as you are he will find sanctuary in Kiehl’s. This line was developed in a pharmacy in New York in the 1800s using the finest available natural ingredients. The men’s product line is cohesive and addictive. Pre-shave, shave, post-shave, skin, hair and lip products are available online at www.kiehls.com or at stores nationwide.

Clever Guys- tomorrow is the day I being to make your life easier to manage for the holiday season.

Clever Girls- next week we will cover a whole new set of ideas for your Clever Guys!

2 comments:

  1. These are some of the best tips for men's gifts! It is sometimes so hard to choose what to get a guy without getting him items that he will never wear, use, or ends up collecting dust in the garage. Thanks Clever Girl! I will definitely take all of these into consideration when buying for the men in my life. The men being my dad and husband...just to clarify. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie-
    Thank goodness you clarified! I'd hate anyone to think you were out shopping for random men.
    Thanks for the feedback- next week we are going to up the budget a bit for those men who are into luxury items.
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog