Saturday, September 4, 2010

Nothing Like Michigan Air on Opening Day

I can NOT believe it’s only taken me two years to erase a lifetime of expectations for University of Michigan football. We are the winningest team in college football- it used to be an HONOR to play in Ann Arbor- but some things have changed.

Our recruiting sucks. Frankly, we barely had to recruit in the past- everyone wanted to play for Bo and Lloyd and the like. Now, we have to go out and ask people to come to the great white north. Pitiful. How do we compete with the sexiness of the warm west coast with California Girls and the sultry state of Florida, equally rife with scantily clad gals. Hmm.

I’d have to say, the greatest threat facing my team is El Capitan- otherwise known as "Rich Rod"- Rich Rodriguez. I personally would prefer to have experience as a factor going into the season instead of the unexpected. Honestly- there is NO way to anticipate what will happen today. We used to sit down and watch a decisive victory- a dismantling of the team that charges to the line and limps away. In recent years, we have been left licking our wounds far too often and, frankly, I blame El Capitan and the poor recruiting. I fear nothing will change until we oust El Jefe and, honestly, it can’t come too soon for me.

In the south, we have the season opener for University of Texas. This is a game with little room for surprise. UT has dominated this match-up, securing 38 of 39 victories over Rice. Longhorn fans better stretch in preparation for scoring celebrations because there are likely to be many , as I imagine the Horns will hang half a hundred on Rice- easy.

OK- I’m out for the day- I have a full day of smelling the crisp, fall, Michigan air and lounging about in front of the TV. Does it get much better? Yes, I have to find someone to fetch me beer and bring me food. The Big H thinks I am supposed to fetch her beer. Looks like a stand-off in Flint. Won’t be the first. Won’t be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog