Thursday, September 9, 2010

IF I Were Vince?

OK- the Clever Tribe has requested my opinion on the USC sanctions- I couldn’t be happier about vilifying Reggie Bush for something it would seem likely EVERYONE does. I'm going to weigh in (110, btw).

This is not a matter of off-field conduct. Frankly, if it were- I’d say that O.J. Simpson might need to be stripped- over and over and over. It is a matter of blatantly violating NCAA rules regarding eligibility.

Now, what to do with the Heisman? Take it away and give it to the runner-up. I’m not just saying that because I love Vince Young. I’m not even saying it because I’m a fan of the University of Texas. I’m just saying it because that is the way it works in a forfeiture. So, no reason to depart from the rules of engagement.

If there was a revote, Vince would win- so …

I can all but guarantee the Heisman Trophy Trust will not be interested in a blight in the annals on par with a BLANK. THAT is NOT going to happen, people, so let’s all accept the fact that Vince SHOULD have won it in the first place. I’m laughing out loud right now- literally, because I KNOW I’m going to get some nasty comments from BUSH lovers.

Now- fact of the matter is that schools need to police their teams and their players and do the right thing. I understand the politics and the undercurrent of gifting, courting and the like. However, if they are going to accept the conduct- the existence of it- then they need to be prepared to accept the consequences as well.

As far as having to give up the victories between December 2004 and the Rose Bowl in 2006- I do not agree with that. The games were not won on the merit or accomplishments of ONE player. While his contribution was immense- some of those games might have been won regardless- so, there is no way to tell.

The Heisman is a different issue altogether. This is an award given to the best college football player in the country- which he was- apparently (I think it came down to popularity and hype). So, when you think about the value of his play- is that affected by his taking donations? Perhaps. Imagine the mental stress some players are under during play? Maybe they have to wonder how they are going to manage their finances outside of a scholarship? Maybe they are concerned their family may have to give up their home or that their parents can’t come to games because they don’t own a car?

So … perhaps many other players could have elevated their play if they didn’t have to worry about money. Hmm.

If I were Vince? I wouldn’t want it. I’d do the power finger (trademarked by my brother, David- you'd have to see it to appreciate it fully) toward the Heisman voting committee and tell them to sit on a blank in the annals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog