Friday, May 28, 2010

Is Late Really Better than Never?

Ok, Clever Tribe- I have news. I am, with the help of two of the most Clever Men I know (Jeremi and Ian Karnell of One to One Interactive), giving So Very Clever an overhaul. Jeremi is a social media paragon and I am thrilled he is going to be heading up this transition. Now, saying that- I am going to have to concentrate on bringing you a new improved site (much more reader interaction- bells and whistles) and editing my first novel (penned with my best friend Alisa)- "Consumed" (in order to get it on the shelves by December of this year, time will have to be devoted).

You can check out The Little Things Publishing page on Facebook for updates on "Consumed," but I plan to keep you posted (bad blog humor). All that to tell you I will be posting new content but not EVERYDAY, so I plan to rerun some of the "favorite" posts. I’ve been told most new readers do not go back through the annals- they just read forward. So, to those who stumble upon a rerun- don’t assume anything. I will change them up a bit.

And here we go- a new phase of So Very Clever (during which I am also tweaking the So Very Clever Groom’s Guide to Surviving the Planning of a Wedding). Please, Clever Guys who somehow survived the wedding planning- give me your stories! E-mail me at soveryclevergrl@gmail.com.

For any of you who are under the misapprehension I’m not a Girlie Girl, you are WRONG! I’m overwhelmed with desire at times for shoes and jeans- love make-up and big hair. However, I am a So Very Clever Girlie Girl with a sense of occasion and know there is a time and place for my alter ego to emerge. That time and that place are NEVER going to be when I’m with a guy (he is not concerned with how to identify a- GASP- fake Prada handbag) or while a man is waiting on me.

Two of my "gifts" and, well, claims to fame are thus- I have a quick turn around when I use the restroom out (and actually am capable of going alone when dining with couples) and (drum roll) from the time I get in the shower to the time I leave the house is under one half hour and … this includes washing hair, drying and styling. I have logged a personal best of 24 minutes but am willing to acknowledge, on that momentous day I already knew what I was going to wear.

Why did I mention these "gifts"? Because they matter to MEN. How do I know this? My speed in the restroom is always commented on, and the men in my life (regardless of whether they are business associates, relatives or friends) are always pleasantly surprised and thankful when I am ready to walk out the door when they arrive- or actually beat them to our meeting place.

All that "sharing" to say this: It would seem a fair amount of So Very Clever content is common sense, which I find to be an oxymoron since sense seems not to be common anymore. Or, perhaps So Very Clever comprises UNCOMMON sense. Should anyone really have to tell us it is rude to accept a phone call during a date? Should we need to be reminded it is not polite to text friends throughout a family dinner with our dad and brother? If you’ve ever returned from the restroom to find your date surrounded by women- you may have only yourself to blame- HOW LONG WERE YOU IN THERE?

Being considerate of the men in your life should be common sense- but why are men different than anyone else? Well, when you keep your friends waiting, they might try on your clothes, talk to you about that upcoming date or understand because they always keep you waiting, but most men do not take that extra 10 minutes in the shower to deep condition and then a few here and a few there- it all adds up to him wondering (as he's pacing your living room concerned you will miss your reservation or the beginning of the movie) how important the evening is to you.

I understand- things happen, days go south. I am just asking that you manage the balance of the evening by giving him a heads up and an apology- which translates to you having a more relaxed stretch of time to ready yourself. This simple gesture can free up space for you to bask in the excitement of your upcoming date instead of racing around and keeping him waiting only to emerge half baked and pissed off.

If circumstances have conspired to keep from being ready on time, and he is picking you up- a Clever Girl would already have ascertained what he enjoyed drinking, have it prepared for him along with the remote and know which channels are FOX, CNN and ESPN. This will buy you some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog