Friday, April 23, 2010

It's Drafty in Here- Thank Goodness

OK, Clever Girls- save the eye roll, this is a tough weekend and you are going to need to be prepared. I have to tell you, at some point, I'm going to stop holding your hand and ask you to do some of this on your own. HOWEVER- this is the first year of the CLEVER initiative and I see no reason why I can’t help to develop good habits. I will be honest. I’ve been so overwhelmed lately, I had to log onto my own freaking blog to double-check the order so as not to be stumped by the very knowledgeable man who took a bar stool next to me. We threw around some heavy topics and as soon as the draft started, I excused myself, double-checked where my teams were so I could issue forth some Clever conversation.

I must say, when the bartender asked if I was Mel Kiper Jr.’s sister I was flattered until I asked if he was telling me I bore a family resemblance (I plan to introduce you to all these talking heads- SOON. They do matter. Except Michelle Beadle- my gosh, she wears me OUT). Now, clearly, I look nothing like Mel Kiper (insert typo caused by violent shaking as a result of revulsion), but it is so nice to be heard. In a room of men, where I was last night, they actually deferred to me. How fantastic is that? It takes some effort to learn about the male realm. It might be impossible for many of you girls- no matter how Clever- to develop any REAL interest in sports- but this blog covers a great many MALE-oriented subjects. Dive in. It’s nice in here and doesn't smell as bad as you might think.

About last night … there were some surprises- most notably to me were two. Sam Bradford going first and Tim Tebow going in the first round. I know what you are thinking, because you are So Very Clever- these are two of the three most recent Heisman winners! True. However, I'm not certain Tim Tebow will ever be a starter on Sunday- just not sure he has the skills (now if this were a matter of character …)

I thought it was cute that Sam's jersey had a little target on his right shoulder (I'm kidding, but there might as well be one! For goodness sakes. I know there are people who think he will emerge from surgery better, stronger, faster- but ...) My gosh, he sustained what could have been a career-ending injury last season and there is no guarantee how that will affect his performance long term or whether there will be a long term for him. However, I will say, the Rams are in a restoration period and there is no reason not to take a QB with remarkable intuition. After all, it’s tough to win games without an offense. As Detroit is about to find after picking up arguably one of the best defensive players (and MAJOR Heisman contender) in college football. Suh is going to break up some plays, but we still need to score.

ROUND 1 RECAP

1 St. Louis Rams- Sam Bradford, QB, OU (Heisman winner)

2 Detroit Lions- Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska (Heisman finalist)

3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Gerald McCoy, DT, OU

4 Washington Redskins- Trent Williams, OT, OU

See a pattern developing? Hmm. You’d think Bob Stoops (OU head coach) would have been lured away by now. And I just wanted Les Miles.

5 Kansas City Chiefs- Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

6 Seattle Seahawks - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State (hmm …)

7 Cleveland Browns- Joe Haden, CB, Florida

8 Oakland Raiders- Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

9 Buffalo Bills- C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson (Heisman chatter)

10 Jacksonville Jaguars- Tyson Alualu, DT, California

11 San Francisco 49ers- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

12 San Diego Chargers- Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State

13 Philadelphia Eagles- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (So thrilled to be in the first round considering we have the shittiest coach EVER. OK, that was harsh and sounded a little judgmental. I’m going to have to be unapologetic about my lack of support for Rich Rodriguez).

14 Seattle Seahawks- Earl Thomas, S, Texas

15 New York Giants- Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

16 Tennessee Titans- Derrrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

17 San Francisco 49ers- Mike Iupati, G,Idaho

18 Pittsburgh Steelers- Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

19 Atlanta Falcons- Sean Witherspoon, LB, Missouri

20 Houston Texans- Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama

21 Cincinnati Bengals- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

22 Denver Broncos- Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

23 Green Bay Packers- Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

24 Dallas Cowboys- Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

25 Denver Bronchos- Tim Tebow, QB, Florida (Heisman winner)

26 Arizona Cardinals- Dan Williams, DT,-Tennesse

27 New England Patriots- Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

28 Miami Dolphins- Jared Odrick- DT, Penn State

29 New York Jets- Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

30 Detroit Lions- Jahvid Best, RB, California

31 Indianapolis Colts- Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU

32 New Orleans Saints- Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State

So, this is what has happened. First time in history three of four of the first selected were from one school.

As I explained before- the order is not the exact same in the subsequent rounds because teams trade draft picks- so, don’t assume anything about your evening, or hell, the rest of your weekend. This is an unavoidable event for a rabid football fan so let’s be So Very Clever about this and make plans with the girls, catch up on some household chores you have been neglecting since you met HIM- or clear some of that backlog of TiVo. Or, if you've become a Clever Guy's Girl- invite those boys in and FEED them. Tons of recipes in Clever in the Kitchen- great for light or heavy snacking.

The fun starts at 6 p.m. EDT, so you better figure out your happy hour unless you want it to be an unhappy hour. Now, if you are invited out with the guys to hang while they watch the draft, do some research or just keep this up on your iPhone. Make remarks like "Was Tebow a good choice for Denver?" This gives every single dude a chance to tell you a thing or two at the same time as they are So Very Impressed you know who Tim is and that he went to Denver in the first round. Jimmy Clausen (ND) and Colt McCoy (Texas) still are available- I personally expected Colt and Jimmy to go in round two and Tebow to go in early in the third- shows what I know. I’ll stick to responding. Geez.

I’m done with the draft- from this point all you will get are my comments. If you know your guy’s team, or hell, teams- do your research, dazzle him with your knowledge and don’t forget- don’t ever tell him a thing or two. I didn’t even know the guy next to me last night, but I never asserted. I made observations and we had a very pleasant discussion. You don’t need to be confrontational to showcase your base of knowledge.

Here is what is happening in the NHL: The Flyers took the series 4-1. The Pens lead the Senators 3-2. Chicago and Nashville are tied 2-2. San Jose is leading the Avalanche 3-2. The Caps are looking to put it away with a 3-1 lead. Boston’s leading Buffalo by a wide margin at 3-1. Kings and Vancouver are tied at 2-2. Detroit and Phoenix are tied at 2-2.

Cross your fingers for my Wings- I can’t handle getting ousted in the first round. After my disaster of a football season, and the dismal Piston performanc,- the Michigan economy … all I have right now are my Wings- oh, and my health- and some pretty freaking hot shoes. I digress.

NBA anyone?

The Lakers are leading Oklahoma 2-1. Dallas is tied with the Spurs 1-1. Phoenix leads Portland. Denver and Utah are tied 1-1. Cleveland is leading 2-1. Orlando is over Charlotte 2-0. Atlanta has 2 over Milwaukee’s 0. Boston is holding two over Miami’s 0.

So, there you have it. Tons of sports this weekend!

We are going to handle some wedding planning next week. Talk about parenting, bullying and sports films- you know, in the spirit of all of this draft and playoff madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog