Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Drink From the Cup at Your Own Risk

Clever Girls- breaking news. The NHL has issued an opening round schedule for the cup race. Beginning on Wednesday night, Thursday and then Saturday. This is who is playing and for WHAT.

The defending champions, Pittsburgh Penguins will play on Wednesday at home against the Ottawa Senators at 7pm ET. It doesn’t take much of a mental leap to know where I will be at 7pm on Wednesday. I’ll establish the line on three camera shots of Mario Lemeiux. Anyone want the over? Me.

San Jose is at home facing the Colorado Avalanche- expected to begin 10:30pm ET. Anyone who knows me knows I will be long asleep by this point, and with great forth thought and restraint not on a crash course to a hang over.

Detroit is heading to Phoenix to face the Coyotes- this match up begins at 10pm ET- it will be at this point I begin to switch channels back and forth- or, if the Pens have things well in hand- which I imagine they will, I’ll be fully in support of MY Red Wings (at the risk of missing a shot of Mario- keeping in mind, this is because he is the greatest hockey player ever to step foot on ice- not because he is dizzyingly handsome).


The Flyers will be in Newark taking on the New Jersey Devils at 7:30pm ET.

I’m done making predictions, fact of the matter is- I'm too involved emotionally. I can tell you what I want- Pens, Wings, Avs and Flyers- and we can talk stats until we pass out cold, but this is PLAY OFF hockey and as I explained on Monday- it’s a totally different level of play. You simply cannot equate regular season play with play off hockey- so statistics, to a certain extent are NOT applicable. So, as usual- I’ll go with my heart.

In the end- I’d love to see the Pens and the Wings to battle again and this time for the Wings to hoist the cup, but I don’t feel it in my gut.

So, what is all this about? What’s the big whoop? Well, it’s called Lord Stanley’s Cup- the Lombardi (Superbowl) Trophy of hockey. In 1892, the trophy was donated by Governor General of Canada, Lord Stanley of Preston. The trophy was to be awarded the winner of a challenge between the champions of the two leagues, National Hockey Association and Pacific Coast Hockey Association.

Unlike the other big three championship trophies- the Stanley Cup is not made new each year, and was originally purchased as a decorative punch bowl. The names of the team members are inscribed on the trophy and when one tier is full, they add another. It’s getting HUGE.

Honestly, I’ve heard about some really profane things happening to that cup in the off season. Each team member gets to keep the cup for a day and the least offensive would be drinking from it- you get the idea- I personally wouldn’t put my mouth or lips to it after what I’ve heard (and it’s on good authority).

This really is a big deal. To hoist this cup is the greatest honor a hockey player can ever experience. Now, the cup race is a long one, so be prepared for this tumultuous and emotional time in a hockey guy’s life. So … if you abhor hockey (which makes no sense to me- haha), it’s time to get out the social calendar and fill it up. Start slow for the first round- put the A-list in with ink and pencil in the B-list for the second round- incase your guy’s team doesn’t make it past the first round. However, I should warn you- whether his team punks out or not, he might watch every possible game right down to the final. I know I do.

The final game of the Stanley Cup is a must see. So, mark your calendar and either avail yourself to join him (after all, he will be so dazzled by your knowledge and interest)- but do not invite yourself- or offer to host a party at your place with ALL the guys. This is not to be taken lightly- you will have to plan ahead to make it a fantastic event. I’ll help- don’t panic.

Please refer to the old hockey posts to brush up on the terminology, the rules and the penalties. Let’s be So Very Clever during the run for the cup and respect the hockey fans in our lives. Don’t be somewhere you don’t want to be- don’t accept an invite to a game (lucky dog) or to watch a game and then ruin it for everyone else with your disinterest or chatter. NOT Clever. Make plans with those girlfriends you have been neglecting. There is no better time for unfettered girl talk.

We are going to have to talk about weddings this week and baseball. Gosh, I love baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. Dating myself, but we’ve already established that I am ONE hundred.

I’ve had a TON of feedback on the Kettlebell post- fantastic. You know how I love feedback. I have decided to do a follow up post with Ken covering the mental aspect of training. By the way, it’s time to discuss nutrition- for those of you who read “Skinny Bitch” or “Skinny Bastard.” I will call these the biggest waste of your non-fiction budget ever. Why? I’ll get to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog