Saturday, November 7, 2009

Beer, Pizza and Football. It's Looking to be a Great Day

Ok, Clever Girls- it's game day and what a game today holds! Alabama takes on LSU- two powerhouse SEC (southeastern conference) teams go head to head. But it gets even better! The winner of this game will likely face Florida in the conference championship game. But! There is so much more drama at play here.

You see, Nick Saban, Alabama’s coach- used to be the coach of LSU (Louisiana State University)- where he lead them to two Championships in 2001 and 2003 and then at the end of the 2004 season, left them to try his hand in the NFL. I am sure the LSU fans were happy to see a lack luster performance for Saban’s Dolphins. There are some other people rooting for Saban and Alabama to fail- the Michigan State Spartans fans who were left by Saban- unceremoniously when he accepted a job with LSU right before the Spartans were to take on FSU in the Citrus Bowl.

It would seem to me, Saban’s conduct is consistent with the “hired gun” mentality in college football coaching. Few are the coaches who play out their careers with their college teams out of love and loyalty- no aspirations of NFL glory- just love of their team and the love of college football.

The Heisman race is boiling over!

Tim Tebow (Florida) is still looking good to pull an “Archie” (Archie Griffin is the only two time winner of the Heisman 1974 & 1975). The Gators are still undeafeated and I don’t imagine Vanderbuilt is going to provide much in the way of a challenge today.

Sam Bradford’s chances of an “Archie” were put to bed early in the season by injury- and it would have been a true “Archie” (back to back wins)

Colt McCoy continues to put up some big numbers with one of the most prolific offenses in the game. I see Colt hanging at least a half a hundred on Central Florida today.

Today is a BIG day for Mark Ingram, ‘Bama’s sophomore running back- a win today would elevate his Heisman cred. I have a vested interest here, Mark is from my home town and we sure do need some good news in Michigan!

Of course, I am looking for Penn State to whip up on Ohio State (sorry, E). I’m happy with the Yankees win. Hockey is getting good- look forward to me unfurling all the hockey particulars- soon. We have plenty of time, this is a long season and I am still trying to break you into the NBA (it’s as painful for me as it is for you).

Now, I want to offer a last minute gift idea for the Clever Guy who has everything. If he is as crazy about college football as I am- a great gift would be to attend the Heisman Award Ceremony in NYC. It is on Monday, December 14th, which might pose vacation related problems- but it is such an honor! Check out www.heisman.com for tickets and information. They are pricey- I call it priceless. Especially if your Clever Guy is a Gator fan or a Texas fan- it’s a great bet Tebow and Colt will be in attendance. At the VIP cocktail area- you get the opportunity to mingling with former Heisman winners!!!! Oh, and since the tickets are so pricey- you could offer to allow him to go alone and spend your equivalent amount on Fifth Avenue.

OK- now for your game day pizza

I like to use just a little bit of water with my tomato paste- add a bit of garlic powder, oregano and cayenne pepper. Heat to warm.

I brown my Italian sausage and drain it completely.

I broil the orange, red and yellow peppers along with my sliced onion until they are soft and a bit charred. I then chop them up small.

Olives are sliced thin.

Mushrooms (fresh only) are sliced thin- raw.

Now, the reason everything is cooked (except the mushrooms) prior to being put on the pizza is so the moisture associated with cooking meat and vegetables doesn’t end up being soaked into the crust.

So, put your sauce on- a nice even layer- careful at the center- this is the area which is hardest to cook- it should be the thinnest here.

Then a nice layer of mozzarella cheese.

Add your veggies and meat. I put the mushrooms on the top because they need to be exposed to the heat to cook down.

Pop it in the oven at the appropriate temperature as indicated on the packaging and cook at least 10 minutes- depending on how crisp you like your crust.

ENJOY!

OK- on Monday I plan to continue my wedding planning series. Tuesday are more Clever Gifts for Clever Guys, Wednesday will cover a few more Clever Gifts for Clever Girls, Thursday will be another installment for Clever Guys to help them not get kicked in the gut during the wedding planning process. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog