Thursday, November 19, 2009

Coupons? Do You See the Line Behind You?

I was in the grocery store the other day, in a hurry as usual, and it was a mad house. Clogging the line in front of me was a woman with a daughter who appeared to be about 5. They were carefully (too carefully) handing over coupons to the cashier. I was not certain what was going on or why she thought it was a great idea to give her daughter an economics lesson when the store was filled to capacity, so I, along with several other annoyed shoppers, switched lines.

I didn’t think another thing about it until I left my home to get the mail and the same woman was walking with her daughter, who was pulling a wagon. I nodded and glanced into the wagon. I was shocked to see it halfway filled with canned goods and staple items.

“Pardon me?” I said, surprising myself. The mom turned around with a lovely smile and said, “Yes?”

“I saw you, earlier, at Tom Thumb. Do you live in the area?”

“We live at the end, in the cul-de-sac. Moved in about a month ago. I’m Nancy and this is my daughter, Jensen.” Nancy offered her hand and, after which, Jensen did the same.

“What a wonderful name, Jensen.”

“Thank you,” she squeaked. I was surprised by the pitch of her voice for a 5-year-old.

“How are you?”

“I’m fine, thank you,” she chirped. Taken aback by her manners, I looked to her mother.

“How old is Jensen?”

“She just turned 3.”

“Three?” I questioned with shock. The little angel was standing halfway up my ribcage and I am not a short person. I knew adults who didn't say thank you when complimented or shake hands.

“Her father is tall.” Nancy said and urged her daughter along.

“What are you girls doing today?” I had to know what the canned goods were about.

“Oh, we are picking up a canned good from each house on our street every Sunday between now and Thanksgiving.”

“Wer'e taking it to the bank,” Jensen beamed.

“The food bank, sweetheart.”

“The food bank.” Jensen corrected herself.

“We put little flyers on the doors a couple weeks ago- just asking people to put one out if they wanted to donate. I'm realizing we get a lot of stuff on the doors in this neighborhood and most people probably threw them away. I haven’t met too many people here yet, so we are just doing what we can.”

Jensen grabbed my hand and took me to the back of her wagon, where there was a sign that said- Kids Can Care. I was so immediately overwhelmed by the scene unfolding around me I did an awkward cough to cover up something- it came out strangled from my tight throat. Tears began to sting my eyes. I was feeling so many different emotions at one time. I couldn’t process any of them.

“Wow,” I uttered. It was a filler, I admit it, but what do you say?

“During the week, we collect the coupons that come in the mail and on Sunday mornings we go and purchase the most nutritious items. Jensen has a 10 dollar allowance for shopping that day. After we do the trip down the street, we take all of our donations over to the food bank.” She wasn’t bragging. She wasn’t pious, nor was she proud. Her statements were so matter of fact it made my throat tighter.

“The food bank is where people who can’t afford to go to Tom Thumb grocery shop,” Jensen said, smiling. She let go of my hand, picked up her wagon handle and started on her way.

“Wait! I need to get my canned good. Can I get a few to make up for the weeks I missed?” Jensen nodded enthusiastically- it was obvious she was very proud.

The emotions I felt were complex. First, as I rummaged through my pantry looking for beans, because they are high in protein and fiber, I wondered why I wasn’t donating to the food bank. The image of Nancy and Jensen in line, managing her little monies and coupons, at the age of 3, so she could donate food to those who couldn’t afford to buy it right now, for what ever reason, made me feel like a heel. I was impatient and selfish in that line. Foot tapping, doing the pee-pee dance, even though I didn’t have to pee.

I was embarrassed they lived in my neighborhood, half a block away and I didn’t know them, know they had moved in or taken the time to read the flyer they’d left. I was heartened by Nancy’s efforts in a community by which she did not yet feel embraced and still jumped right in to support. And then there was Jensen. When I moved to place my cans of beans in the wagon, she asked that she be able to do it for me. I noticed right away, the items in the wagon were a great source of pride for her. She was filling that wagon- and pulling it. Her hands were being put to the plow. She was making a way for others.

I told Nancy I would remind all of the neighbors to put their canned goods out and invited her to lunch this next week. I’ve already called everyone I know in the neighborhood, which has yet to embrace me after 11 years, and invited them to welcome Nancy.

As I watched them walk- never did Nancy try to help Jensen as she struggled with her load. I figured they’d had that discussion before and Jensen knew if she needed help, she would ask for it. There was so much pride on that little girl’s face- it made me hurt a bit.

Why aren’t we all doing what Nancy is doing- hell, what Jensen is doing? We vote with time- not just money. I am sure Nancy could write a check each week if her conscience required her to contribute- but she knows there is no lesson in that for her daughter, who will inherit this world.

At that moment I wanted nothing more than to pound on the doors when I saw Jensen walk up and come back looking a little defeated with her empty hands held out as she shrugged, but it wasn’t my battle to fight. I could and should not save Jensen from disappointment- it is an important lesson for her, part of the process.

As the cold wind blew about me, I was pretty certain Nancy shielded Jensen from very little. Though the lessons of fear, anger, frustration and disappointment are hard to witness in children- they must be experienced. If children are not exposed to a full range of emotions early in life and repetitively- they will never learn how to cope. Every parent wants to laugh it away, protect their child from whatever in the world is threatening to disappoint or sadden, but they would only serve to deny them life skills. This Clever mommy is raising a little girl who will be so very clever.

Jensen is learning to be intentional- to act, to contribute with time and energy. Jensen has purpose- to be a part of the world around her, to help, to nourish, to ease the suffering of others. I know no other 3-year-old like her ... but I’d like to.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that brought tears to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve-

    Me too. Even when I was writing it. Thanks so much for reading and having the capacity to recognize the message.

    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me three! Great message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Guy-

    Thanks for reading. The support means a great deal.

    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the inspiring story. I love what you wrote about how although we, as parents, want to shield our children from every negative thing in life, sometimes we need to simply step back and allow our children to struggle a little bit and experience those emotions of fear, anger, frustration, and disappointment. This is how they can become confident, self-assured, compassionate people, able to cope with the challenges in life. I'm a new mommy to my 10-month-old son, and I truly hope my husband and I will be able to raise him well in this way. I very much admire the mother in your story; she really is one clever momma indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise-

    Thank you for reading. I don't think you need to worry a bit- the reason I know is because the post resonated with you. You understand the value of allowing your children to ask for help before you leap to their aid. You are coming up on walking- let him experience frustration- he will be proud of his accomplishments. As he learns to talk, teach him to ask you for help.
    Disciplining children is the hardest thing a parent will ever have to do- other than pay for the little devils- that is why so few people do it. Clever parents know if you don't say "no"- your children won't learn to say it either- and there will come times in their lives when it is critical.
    I look forward to earning your comments moving forward- thank you for reading!
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  7. CG
    As lovely as Jensen is in this story, it is Nancy that has absolutely blown my mind. As a busy parent in our western culture of abundance and affluence, her intentional steps to instill work ethic, broader perspective, gratitude, grace and purpose are inspiring above most stories I have heard in years. It is precisely this kind of parenting that will not only eradicate the extreme poverty that ravages 28% of the world's population (living on $1 per day), but will re-ignite the 'can-do' American spirit, where we don't look to government solutions like well-fare or bailouts as remedies, but rather take responsibility for our own hopes, dreams and future. Our kids do inherit the world we give them, and they are watching closely how we behave; where do we place value and how do we vote. Nancy's actions speak volumes; engaging her daughter and enabling her to experience the range of emotions is brilliant; guiding her each step of the way in love. Jensen owes her mom a tremendous debt of gratitude for being deliberate, not walking through life unconsciously. Thanks for this story; I am a new dad with an 11 month old. Any CLEVER parenting advice or stories like this are appreciated greatly. LM

    ReplyDelete
  8. LM-

    Thank you for your words- they are truly weighty. Like Denise, I think you have a firm handle on how to navigate the teachings of the next generation. We have an obligation to teach by example and Nancy is doing just that. I look forward to learning from her in the future and bettering myself along the way.
    I do hope Jensen continues to embrace this broader perspective she is being given- as she grows into an emotionally literate, compassionate, active and intentional young woman.
    There is so much to be gained from reaching out-
    Thank you so much for the information you shared- you are right on all accounts- I look forward to more feedback from you.
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  9. there is not more that i can impart that others already haven't written,
    but there is a lesson to be learned here for all of affluent America Folks who procreate and then they don't finish the job. trust me i have children and its no picnic to raise them but you take a vow when your little seeds arrive in this world. I don't won't to go on a rant here, but put down the wii and go see the big fat world we have to offer, its abundant and ripe.
    Parents forget the basic lessons that have to be instilled in their offspring. God knows that i have mad many mistakes with my first child but its never to late to learn and do better, some folks put the
    onis on their child's school or church, which are great reenforces but
    should not be the root of right from wrong and its the parents responsibility to mold minds and souls. Its our duty as parents to
    impress upon our dopplegangers to do better and help when ever
    possible. and when they screw it all up, and they will, its your charge to show them how to make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becco-

    All parents make mistakes- learning from them is the value in doing so. I guess you weren't married during the rearing of that first child- if you were, perhaps such mistakes wouldn't have been made. Often, each parent has individual strengths. One the disciplinarian, one the communicator of life lessons, both communicating love and support (hopefully)- it is not unusual for there to be an imbalance- that is why marriage is a team sport. You are supposed to work together in tandem- supporting each other's weaknesses with your strength. Trust one another, believe in one another as husband and wife- parents and men and women. You have to look to one another in confusing time as a parent- the marriage is the foundation. The marriage is what your children will reference as they move toward creating their own families.
    You might be remarried or have reunited as you have another child or more children- so I do hope you do not allow the same mistakes to happen again. Each child is different and deserves a chance to become their own person under your direction, love and guidance. No environmental entity can replace the influence the home has on children- it is where they should learn about love, respect, self-respect, authority, self-esteem, self-confidence, awareness- all aspects of character. Leave the math and science to the teachers- delegate. Make your home the center for character development.
    The children I have met in my life which seem the best adjusted are those whose parents have the same parenting philosophy. If a singular articulation of parenting doesn't exist- you are at odds and the children suffer in the long run.
    It is every parent's hope their children will not screw up so badly there is no fixing it- but it does happen. Luckily- not all children head down the wrong path, take their cues from influences outside a loving home or reject their parents. Love them, support them and be firm with discipline. Spare the rod- lose the child.
    Thank you for your comments- they are lovely. I am sure you are doing a great job this time around. We vote with time.
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! I just read this and was truly moved by not only the story but a child who is making agreater impact than many of us on any given day. I recently was speaking of my children and how the one thing I failed to help them learn was to give back to the community in which they live. I still have one more at home and I will take this lesson to heart. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous-

    Thank you for your kind words. I must tell you, children respond to the lessons we teach. LM is right (above comment)- the applause goes to Nancy for taking the time to embrace a community who had yet to accept or embrace her- to me that shows her commitment to serve.
    We can all DO more- I want to do what Nancy is doing so I am. I have no doubt you will continue to be a Clever parent.
    I look forward to your comments in the future- thank you for reading.
    x
    CG

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog