Monday, March 29, 2010

And Finally, THE Four

I probably should have done this yesterday, but because I was soooo sick, I had to rerun a post for the first time. I’m feeling better today, so let’s get back at it, Clever Girls. I know I have promised the kettlebell post for weeks, and I apologize for pushing it again, but Ken Blackburn’s family has sustained a tragedy and, out of respect, I’d like to wait.

So, in the meantime, let’s talk about the big FOUR. This is when basketball gets really exciting- and that’s saying a lot for me because I think I’ve made my feelings clear on this sport. It’s fast and furious and high-scoring- I like it but I don’t LOVE it. College Final Four, however, is a totally different, well, ball game.

This is it- these boys are playing with heart and soul and it will be a battle until that last game when one college takes home the National Championship trophy. As is typical, plan on the winning team, beginning with seniors, to each cut a strand of the net for themselves to commemorate their victory and for the head coach to cut the last strand.

You need to know Coach K. His name is Mike Krzyzewski. He has been the coach of Duke men’s basketball for 30 years and has taken the team to the Final Four 11 times- but not in six years- so this is a big deal. Duke defeated Baylor and have high hopes of taking home a national title- their first since 2001. An interesting side note- former Duke center/power forward Christian Laettner is the only college player to start in four consecutive Final Four games.

About 12years ago, Bud Light had a commercial with a driver waiting in the baggage area with a sign with the name "Krzyzewski" on it. Some dude walks up, mangles the name and ends up in the limo firing back some Bud Lights while Coach K is left waiting. I know it doesn’t sound funny- but the name is pronounced closer to shuh-shev-ski and all novices screw it up so don’t say it until you HEAR it. Huge Guy’s Girl points for the Clever Girl who cites the commercial and I am sure you can catch it on YouTube.

Saturday night Duke will take on East Regional champion West Virginia, which is making the trip after a 51-year drought! The West Virginia coach hasn’t been in the Final Four since taking Cincinnati before returning to his alma mater. It’s worth noting Bob Huggins was head coach at Kansas State prior to Cincinnati. The Mountaineers are not going down without a fight, you can be sure.

Westward ho! Butler- who’da thunk it? The nation loves an underdog story and this team takes it a step further. Two important Clever Girl points here- ideal for throwing into conversation. The Butler Bulldogs play in the fieldhouse where "Hoosiers" was filmed (classic underdog sports film listed on the So Very Clever Guide to Being a Guy’s Girl list of MUST SEE guy movies) and the fact this film stars Gene Hackman (high on the list of Guy’s Guy actors.) Not so notable is that the fiery Bulldogs take on my own alma mater on Saturday night. Hmmm. I do love a good come-from-behind victory and I think we all know I’m not that loyal to MSU (especially because they haven't hired a sniper to shoot the freaking State hat off of Michael Moore’s head.)

Michigan State Spartans. I spent four and a third years in East Lansing, Mich., far enough away from home to cut loose a little but not too far to have my dad drive up under the guise of "lunch" to fill my car with gas and buy me beer. It’s a pretty fun place and known for putting together some decent teams.

When Kalin Lucas went out with a major injury, some thought Northern Iowa would be this year's Cinderella run to the Final Four, but that title now goes to Butler. There is no estimating the impact Lucas’ ruptured Achilles will have on the Spartan’s performance against Butler let alone the victor of the Duke and West Virginia contest. Go Green. Go White. Where is the Maize? The Blue? Boo-hoo.

I recommend all Clever Girls watch this tournament- it is intense and you will rarely see basketball like this. Even I tune in and will be rooting for State. I’ll check in with the So Very Clever Erin Hogan of ESPN Austin for his take on the victor. I try not to make predictions- it’s been a bad year on that score, but I’m seeing blue and white.

We need to get back into Sextrology this week. I’ve gotten so many messages and e-mails from readers who are really excited about this book. I’m sick and bedridden, so you can count on me provoking you. If you are not sold and have not bought "Sextrology," tune IN.

If you can't wait on the wedding plans, check out some articles I've written here. If you need help jumping into the deep waters of wedding planning- e-mail me and I will push you in- free of charge. I know fantastic and reputable vendors in Chicago, Tampa, Orlando, New York, LA, Louisiana and, of course, the Big D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog