Tuesday, February 2, 2010

College is NOT a Guarantee

I was in Starbucks yesterday and was confronted with what could only be called a bizarre situation. There was a young guy- twenty-one or so next to me on his computer- actually the entire place was full of people on their laptops. I was trying to get my post up and the guy next to me was doing some research (I later learned) on some companies he was hoping to acquire interviews with.

There was little to no noise other than what you’d expect from the dulcet tones of a few conversations and that generated by the preparation of a variety of beverages. It was what I’d call a pretty perfect relaxing work environment- UNTIL.

She came out of now where- kind of like a freight train through a thicket- startlingly loud and lacking in grace entirely. She sidled up to the young man next to me and as if with a megaphone shouted-

“Hey, can you email me your list of contacts at …” Insert finance company after ellipsis. Clearly they’d had a conversation I’d not been a part of at some point- though quickly it seemed perhaps they knew each other from school as the tone was very familiar.

Everyone in the place was staring so I felt reasonably comfortable looking over my right shoulder to see why she was speaking/yelling so loud. I assumed she must be hearing impaired because I’m not talking about slightly loud for a coffee shop- I’m talking about loud for a noisy restaurant or attempting to communicate in The Big House (University of Michigan Stadium). Her appearance made all things clear- something was indeed amiss. She was wearing a white sundress (it was thirty degrees out) and sandals, her hair was the white yellow one sees and associates with those experiments with hydrogen peroxide, she’d become intimate with the inside of a tanning booth so intimate I found myself holding my breath in anticipation of the smell of burned flesh.

More fantastical than her appearance was the running commentary spilling forth from her.

“Well, I have been interviewing with (insert high level finance companies) and have a ton of connections so I can help you there. Just email the people you know and I’ll email you back. I can not wait to get a job.”

“Me either, I’m so sick of school.”

“I’m sick of working. I’ve been interning for (insert a different high level finance company) for a year- 120 hours a week.” I mentally did the math. How many hours are in a week? 168. That meant she had exactly 48 hours to sleep and go to school. So, we (we were now a “we” because the young guy was sliding me confused glances) mentally did the math and he laughed and said, “Right. That’s a lot.”

“I’m serious and I take a full load at SMU so I can graduate early. It’s been almost impossible to maintain my four point working so much- I swear, I am so sick of studying. I can not wait to get into international finance if I don't go to Harvard Business in the fall. It depends on the offers I get."

A nervous laugh from him as she moved in closer. That was when I noticed her make up- if you could call it make up- it was more like acrylic paint on a rough canvas- her eyes rimmed in so much eyeliner and her lashes caked with so much mascara it was a wonder she could keep them open. His head whipped around as if he was apologizing to everyone for the disturbance, or looking for help or maybe an exit.

I was pretty sure the only international finance she was capable to doing was paying the lovely Australian barista for preparing her latte. Even then, it took longer than it should have.

“Now we have to pay our dues- in the work environment," he stammered and I felt bad for him.

“Bullshit. I paid my dues in school. I won’t accept an offer under six figures and I’m not leaving Dallas.”

I know we both looked confused because when she turned on her sandal and stalked away- he looked me straight in the face and said- “I have no idea what that was.”

“Do you know her?”

“No.”

“Have you ever talked to her before?”

“She said we had an econ class together- I’m thinking I’d have remembered.”

“I’m thinking you might have.”

Then I got to thinking- despite the fact she clearly had a thought disorder and was grappling with reality- how many young people believe they paid their dues in college?

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers only 19% of those who graduated college in 2009 were able to find employment. This is down from 51% in 2007. Further, it is asserted those who were able to find employment in their field are being paid much less than they would be in a stronger economy.

I settled in to watch her because it was like watching Anna Nicole Smith try to function on enough valium to take down a rhino. I’ve been exposed to my fair share of “not right”, but this girl was stunningly bizarre.

“Does she really go to SMU?” I couldn’t help ask my new friend.

“I have no idea, but that's a legitimate text book she has there. I have it in my bag.”

“Do you have her email?”

“No.”

“Does she have yours?”

“No!”

“I wonder how she thought the two of you would be emailing one another all your contacts.”

He shook his head and I watched her fidget with her hair, pick at her cuticles and text furiously. It occurred to me she would not be in the 19% or less acquiring a job in 2010 unless this was some type of short term “disturbance.”

So, what can be done to make one’s self more marketable or to deal with what are not ideal graduating conditions? I set to thinking about that and clearly in her case medication was a good start, but what about everyone else?

The first thing to note is you are not paying your dues by going to college- it is a requirement to becoming a professional (nine of ten times)- if you believe the work you are doing in college will in some way hasten your due payment in the professional world- you need to manage your expectations- let’s start right now.

It is the goal of a University to keep you there as long as they can- thereby, the value of a post-graduate degree. It is certainly something to consider in this job market- if you have been thinking at all about pursuing further education- this might be a great time to do it. It will be expensive and it might frustrate you to extend your time as a student- but if the option is to enter the job market only to end up working in a position you could acquire without a college degree …

Utilize your counselor/advisor- they will challenge you with post graduate studies, but make sure you know what the options are in your field- all of them. As one who was getting a degree in creative writing, I was told I needed to get my MA and then my PH.D. and become a professor- there was no way I could become a professional writer- five percent of writers earned 90% of the income generated by writers. So … I did as I was told. They neglected to tell me I could get a job as a copywriter, or editor or go to work for a literary agent, get a job with a magazine or write free-lance. I’d have been interested in any of those things. I was at the mercy of those who were to advise me. With my dreams of being a novelist dashed- I trudged forward to continue my education.

Diversify your interests as they relate to your degree- research, research, research. Find “groups,” “clubs,” and “professional organizations,” which will help you to make contacts with those already working in your chosen field. The alumni pool should be a good resource as well.

Don’t discount facebook and other social networking options. You’d be surprised how many jobs were acquired by knowing the same people- or being part of the same fraternity or academic organization at school. It’s never been more critical to exercise your social skills- you have to bring more to the table in this competitive job market than the GPA and the BIG BRAIN.

If you are not a writer, obtain some help from a friend who is when you write your professional cover letters for your resume submissions. Nothing aligns you with the “slush pile” faster than a poorly written or improperly worded cover letter or resume. Now is the time to Be So Very Clever- you have to get out there and Do. Try. Experience. Learn. Not all of what you need to know can be learned in class.

I recommend internships and apprenticeships- not just for college credit, but to learn. You would not be the first person who realized you HATED your chosen field only months into the practical side of your education. The classroom is different than being out there. You need to be exposed to office politics and chains of command, rejection and realize you have YET to pay ANY dues.

College is a good start, but it never has been and never will be a guarantee. Even at the top of our class, you might not get a job. Even from an Ivy League school, you might not win a position. It is highly competitive out there so I advise my young readers to give thought to what interests them long before they enter college. Gone are the days when you could or should declare a major in your junior year. Procrastinating and being lazy is not Clever and you will NOT be rewarded.

Now, we’ve talked before about being Clever- that means being intentional and purposeful. Grow yourself as a person so you bring more to your interview process than the Big Brain and the letters of recommendation (everyone has those). If you do acquire interviews- research the company, research the panel or the person conducting the interviews. Find out where they went to college- scour the internet for information- the professional networking sites- whatever it takes to prove your interest and willingness as a motivated candidate.

As far as the girl above- I hope her Daddy owns (insert prominent finance company here) because it will be the ONLY way she gains employment until she figures out what planet she is living on.

“Hey, call me tonight, maybe we can do something,” she yelled at him on her way out.

“Do you have her number?”

He shook his head.

Hmmm. Why do personality disorders seem so prevalent suddenly? We will have to get to that another time. I have a few ideas.

Ok- I am making Beef Stroganoff for dinner and if you ask nicely- I might share the recipe. I will be putting up the sacred Cincinnati Chili recipe tomorrow and doing a wedding post on Thursday. You can count on me talking to Erin Hogan at ESPN Austin for his take on this weekend's BIG GAME. And yes, even though I am not a huge fan of football, it is football and any football is better than no football.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog