Sunday, August 22, 2010

What Are You Visualizing?

I must say I adore being inspired by others and today a Very Clever man named Preston Ely was the ONE. I stumbled onto his blog on Facebook and the post I read today regarding visualization made me burst out laughing (almost). What it actually did do is bring out the very snarky side of me- which isn’t necessarily a good thing- but given the fact I’ve beat up on marriage- AGAIN, I should probably focus on something positive.

However, I will say- the "Are you COMMITTED to the INSTITUTION of Marriage?" was designed to be a very positive post. Just trying to shed some light on the supposed new PURPOSE of marriage. LOVE. It is no longer an ecumenical arrangement or even an ARRANGEMENT at all. We have choice and the choice should be love and love doesn’t have to lead to MARRIAGE.

If love does lead to marriage- I am advising clear communication of expectations as to how you will handle raising children, religion, finances, the inevitable impulse to have an affair of some type (because there are ALL kinds of them now- "emotional," "intellectual," "physical," "sexual," – I personally am having a very meaningful one with Gucci footwear). There are so many posts which will be born of the "Institution" post- but now is not the time.

I’d like to comment on a simple concept Preston suggested. Visualize your day before you begin it. Simple. Perfect. So Very Clever indeed. I posted before about a book called "The Game of Life and How to Play It" by Florence Scovel Shinn, a metaphysician in the '20s. She was HUGE on visualization- saying the subconscious is the "scissors of the mind"- it cuts out thoughts and brings them to fruition. Interesting.

I plan to take a sentence from Preston and a chapter from Florence and start doing the exact same thing. This, of course, will involve a variety of unlikely outcomes. Jim Harbaugh getting canned, John Taylor from Duran Duran dropping by for drinks, Gucci determining I MUST endorse them exclusively- as if I don’t already, "Consumed" setting records for first novel sales, So Very Clever becoming a movie starring Reese Witherspoon, me relocating to Verona, Italy, and eating nothing but spinach and ricotta ravioli and drinking Chianti (with an occasional sushi sake combo), my series of children’s books ending up in every library and classroom in the country and launching a fantastically didactic show for children, me being able to pay off the college tuition of a Very Clever young lady who is beginning the next phase of her life, Stephen King determining "Consumed" is so fantastic he can’t possibly not offer me a blurb, me using a huge platform to advocate children and me actually finishing novel number two by the first of December, a national championship for University of Michigan, a Stanley Cup this year for the Wings (can't believe Mike Modano is a Wing- not sure how I feel about that), Sig Arms deciding I need to be their spokeswoman and a Sun Stone Yoga opening in Northern Michigan.

Now, these are just the things that leapt out at me off the cuff. My mind is So Very Powerful and if I wake each day and start visualizing- look out. Great plan, Preston. I can’t wait to get started tomorrow. What is going to be first?

A Heisman caliber quarterback for University of Michigan. You all could have guessed that.

OK- we will resume our football series as the season is about to start sizzling. I also want to cover a major event happening in the wedding industry on September 9th.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog